TOEFL Review Program
WHAT IS TOEFL?
TOEFL or Test of English as Foreign Language measures the ability of non-native English speakers to use and understand the English language as it is heard, spoken, read and written in the university classroom.
COMPOSITION OF THE TOEFL
|TOEFL TEST SECTIONS||TIME||QUESTIONS||TASKS||SCORE SCALE|
|LISTENING||60 – 90 minutes||34 – 51 questions||Listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answer questions||0 – 30|
|READING||60 – 80 minutes||36 – 70 questions||Read 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answer questions||0 – 30|
|SPEAKING||20 minutes||6 tasks||Express an opinion on a familiar topic; speak based on reading and listening tasks.||0 – 30|
|WRITING||50 minutes||2 tasks||Write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks; support an opinion in writing||0 – 30|
|TOTAL||Approximately 4 hours||0 – 120|
ADVANTAGES OF TAKING THE TOEFL TEST
- TOEFL scores help prove one’s English proficiency in the four English language competencies in listening, reading, speaking and writing.
- TOEFL as an institution is reliable because of the test’s reputation for quality, fairness and academic content. This is why it is the most widely accepted English language test in the world.
- More than 9,000 colleges, universities and agencies in 130 countries accept TOEFL scores as basis for admission.
- TOEFL can be taken from any of the approximately 1275 accredited TOEFL Test sites in 180 countries around the world.
THE GREATER HEIGHTS (GH) TOEFL REVIEW
The GH TOEFL Review provides extensive practice in all four modules of the TOEFL exam. These modules have been carefully produced to reflect the level of difficulty for each exam. Throughout the whole program, exam skill strategies are given to provide guidance on how to approach each different task or test type.
Overview of the GH TOEFL Program
The GH TOEFL Program starts with a Diagnostic Exam that measures the students’ proficiency in the four English language competencies namely listening, reading, speaking and writing. This helps assess the students’ readiness in taking the TOEFL and sets the students’ expectation on the different TOEFL test types.
This module trains the students to understand spoken English in an academic setting. The following are the specific objectives:
- understand spoken English in an academic setting;
- listen to lectures and conversations that are about 3 to minutes long;
- understand main ideas or important details;
- recognize a speaker’s attitude or function;
- understand the organization of the information presented;
- make inferences or connections among pieces of information
- learn techniques in good listening
Duration of Listening Module
|Number of Meetings per Week||Number of Hours per Meeting||Number of Hours to Complete Listening Module|
This module trains the students to understand university level academic texts. Specifically, it aims to make the students achieve the following:
- to comprehend factual information
- to infer information from the passage
- to understand vocabulary in context
- to understand author’s purpose
- to recognize relationships among facts and ideas in different parts of a passage
- to learn techniques to reading comprehension
Duration of Reading Module
|Number of Meetings per Week||Number of Hours per Meeting||Number of Hours to Complete Reading Module|
This module trains the students to speak English effectively in educational environments, both inside and outside the classroom. Further, it aims to make the students achieve the following:
- to respond orally and effectively to both oral and written stimuli
- to demonstrate understanding of a given problem and orally express opinion
- to summarize a lecture and demonstrate understanding on how ideas relate to the overall topic
- to integrate skills in reading, listening and speaking to express comprehension on a given topic
- to rehearse with a native English speaker
- to learn strategies to effective speaking
Duration of the Speaking Module
|Number of Meetings per Week||Number of Hours per Meeting||Number of Hours to Complete Speaking Module|
This module trains the students on how to write an essay effectively. Specifically, this module aims to make the students achieve the following:
- to be able to communicate clearly in writing and compose well-organized essays using correct grammar, spelling, vocabulary and sentence structure.
- to learn note-taking skills
- to be aware of the scoring criteria for the writing section and to be able to observe these criteria in writing the essay
- to learn techniques to writing good essays
Duration of the Writing Module
|Number of Meetings per Week||Number of Hours per Meeting||Number of Hours to Complete Writing Module|